Thursday, June 30, 2011

pikcha this

Encouraging email with newspaper article saying Smack The Pony team are working on another (TV) series.
Can't tell you how exciting this news is.



Saw Bridesmaids last week. Could do without the first few minutes of humpy pumpy [okay, I'm a prude] but after that it was hilarious and, I must say, it reminded me of Smack the Pony humour [with no references to parachutes].

Not just funny - enough human moments to make it's characters 3 dimensional.

--------------------------

Went to Mornington Cinemas tonight to see Oranges and Sunshine, the latest movie about the British Immigrant Child Scheme.

Like a good scout, I was prepared with a selection of pain killers for the inevitable tension headache that follows a good cry. A bountiful supply of tissues is also useful when watching a serious docudrama; the only real challenge is trying to blow one’s nose in the gaps between important bits of dialogue.

No surprises in the story line, but some very impressive performances on the screen.

Reality check films like this always leave me feeling powerless and cynical. Some days I harbour great hope for humanity, others a mantra starts up in my head: “all politicians are shits, politicians are all shits are politicians…”

-----------

The last movie I saw at Mornington was The King’s Speech. Colin Firth’s performance blew me away the first time I saw it, so I had to go again and see if it would have the same impact second time around.
Sho’ nuff, I found myself almost gagging all over again, as I tried to help him spit some words out.

-------------

In between viewings of The King’s Speech went with some interstate guests to the Imax in Melbourne and saw Born to Be Wild in 3D. Wow.
My least favourite creatures are rodents, reptiles and redbacks, but I love 'rang utans and elephants, which were the two animals featured in this 3D masterpiece.

I don’t know why people insist on calling Julia Gillard a ‘ranga’. Firstly, she isn’t a real redhead and secondly if she was a real redhead why not just call her ‘Blue’ like any normal Australian would?
She might not be Australian born but she certainly sounds like she has choked on a barbecued snag or two.

Besides, only attractive, humanoid primates with personalities should be called rangas.

----------------

What is it with this ALP stand against gay marriage? What is it with this stand from a woman who lives in sin in the lodge?

A friend who is a dedicated die hard Labor member went along to the Vic state conference this year and she said it was stacked with fundamentalist christians [a contradiction in terms if ever I heard one]. These were the people who shot the gay marriage policy proposal down in flames in Vic.
Of course, they wouldn’t have so much sway if people were not deserting the party in droves. Worse still, with the nookie-Nazis signing up it creates the impression the ALP still has some support.

Of all the countries in the world where gay marriage should not be an issue, surely Australia is near the top of the list:
The leader of the Greens is gay, one of Julia’s cabinet members is gay, a recently retired High Court Judge is gay – none of them have felt the need to keep it a secret.

Some people are predominantly heterosexual, some predominantly homosexual. [I'll assume you're not wondering about ol' fruitcake here, but just in case you have issues, I'm predominantly headache-osexual.]

Honestly, if we want to imagine what it’s like in someone else’s bedroom, wouldn’t we find someone better to picture ‘at it’ than a politician? So by the same token, why should politicians worry about what voters do in the privacy of their own homes?

C'mon, Julia, don't you want to be remembered for having done at least one thing voters actually approved of?
--------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment